New product: Custom Story Alerts!
You can create story alerts to notify you when stories are added to the Solutions Story Tracker® that match your interests. Customize alerts by issue area and other terms, then select the alert frequency. Build as many story alerts as you want!
To add or update your story alerts, log in to the Solutions Journalism Network website. Custom Story Alerts are located within your Profile, which you can access by clicking on your initial, then navigating to the Solutions In Your Inbox tab. Once you are logged into our website, click here for a quick portal to create and edit your alerts.
Explore some of SJN’s most recent newsletters below. Click each one to view that edition and subscribe. To see the full list, click here.
Above The Fold
SJN’s flagship newsletter, filled with opportunities, tools, news and resources from the world of solutions journalism
- Feb 1, 2023 - The Solutions Journalism Accelerator from our partners at the European Journalism Centre is open for applications; Reasons to be Cheerful seeks their first editorial director; a bevy of training and job opportunities.
- Jan 18, 2023 - Covering Climate Now shares their Climate Solutions Reporting Guide; SJN has a new fellowship brewing; lessons for journalists from Amanda Ripley’s book High Conflict.
- Jan 11, 2023 - The launch of the new Solutions Journalism Impact Tracking Guide; a year-long calendar for building more constructive journalism across your newsroom.
Three great solutions stories around a theme or event to your inbox every other week
- Jan 26, 2023 - A moving and personal edition from SJN’s communications director Ambika Samarthya-Howard covering how people respond with healing in the face of violent conflict. Get rich insights from stories about Israel and Palestine (Slate), India and Pakistan (NPR) and The Balkans War (BBC Travel).
- Jan 12, 2023 - Great public transportation can help build vibrant, more equitable communities and a cleaner environment. Stories covering cheap train tickets in Germany (themayor.eu), rapid bus transit in Richmond (Virginia Mercury) and a free fare pilot in Colorado (Colorado Sun) show how.
- Dec 15, 2022 - Explore Solutions Journalism Network’s 2021 Annual Report, filled with the people and newsrooms that make the network so vibrant and solutions journalism so enriching.
Making The Grade
Resources and lessons for teaching solutions journalism, or using it to teach other subjects
- Dec 11, 2022 - The Food Fix podcast from Michigan State University journalism students covers farming and food systems with a solutions lens and a high level of reporting.
- Nov 20, 2022 - The psychological benefits of gratitude, along with sharing some for our readers, plus stellar student journalism from the Great Lakes Echo, Changing Florida and Stony Brook’s J-Drive.
Mobilizing The Economy
Tools and tips to better cover what's working in issues like housing, child care and education
- Jan 18, 2023 - The annual “Point-in-Time” count is an attempt to quantify the number of people living on the streets. It can also attract a lot of journalists. Community Solutions offers a concise guide to holistic reporting that goes beyond the numbers.
- Jan 5, 2023 - Meaningful community engagement can elevate and deepen solutions journalism. The Kansas City Beacon shows how.
Updates by and for the newsrooms, journalists, freelancers, policymakers and experts committed to covering responses to social problems across Africa
- Feb 1, 2023 - Jamiu Folarin brings solutions journalism to Nigerian students; Look Up TV in Kenya offers consistent, solutions-focused TV news; pitch and grant opportunities for African journalists.
- Jan 2, 2023 - How many people were trained through the Solutions Journalism Africa Initiative? What are the resources for African journalists to learn solutions reporting? These and other common questions are answered in this overview.